ERM’s quarterly global trends insights provide a quick summary of the latest sustainability issues impacting the private sector. Drawing on the long-running annual report produced by the SustainAbility Institute by ERM, this quarter’s update tracks six corporate sustainability macrotrends affecting the private sector:
- ESG disclosure takes center stage - ISSB standards attempt consolidation to establish a global baseline for ESG disclosure.
- Climate change alarms are ringing - average global temperature expected to exceed 1.5°C Paris ambition.
- AI's potential for transformation and new revenue to global economy - Lawmakers seek to tame AI's perils without quashing its potential.
- Geopolitical and economic headwinds disrupt business - while the global economy is uncertain, corporate sustainability commitments remain strong.
- Diversity efforts under pressure - countries worldwide are grappling with demographic changes poised to transform society and business.
- Companies are embracing circularity - growing circularity support networks and increasingly forceful government bans of single-use products.
The update provides essential reading for any business executive looking to understand the strategic implications of today’s sustainability context.
The Summer 2023 quarterly trends insights were compiled by Mark Lee, Aiste Brackley, Andrew Angle and Jacco Kroon at the SustainAbility Institute by ERM.